The “Big Trap”
“What has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun” (Ecclesiastes 1:9)
On Sunday May 30, 2010 we went to bed knowing that the Israeli navy was waiting to intercept the flotilla of pro-Palestinian activist carrying humanitarian aid that was determined to, in their own words, “bust through the Israeli navy.” Since 2007, Israel has a maritime embargo in place against Gaza so that Hamas cannot receive more weapons which it in turn uses against Israel. While the flotilla was in route, Israel and Egypt made repeated offers to flotilla organizers to dock in Israel or Egypt, unload their cargo there, and accompany it themselves to Gaza land crossings. They refused. Their refusal made clear their intentions were more about provoking Israel and flouting Israel’s sovereignty than delivering humanitarian aid. In the early morning on May 31st, Israeli naval boats approached the flotilla, warned them to stop their present course and invited them to dock in Israel to deliver their aid to Gaza via the land crossings. Watch the IDF making that call to the ships that night : Israel Navy Addresses Flotilla
The response they received, as you can hear on the clip, was, “Negative. Negative. Our destination is Gaza.” Naval commandos boarded the boat, and this is what was waiting for them: Activists Mob Soldiers. As you can see clearly in the footage, the soldiers were met by a mob wielding metal rods, knives, broken bottles, etc. The soldiers didn’t land on the deck with their guns drawn. They were actually holding paint ball guns which they thought they might need to disperse the crowd if it got unruly. Drawing their live guns and firing is the only thing that kept these soldiers from being brutally lynched, which you can clearly see in the video. At least nine “activists” were killed in the ensuing struggle.
And now the world is shocked and angry with Israel over the incident: the EU foreign policy chief called for a comprehensive enquiry into deaths aboard the aid ships seized by Israel’s Navy. The White House is also calling for an independent investigation. Spain, Sweden and Greece have summoned Israeli ambassadors to their capitals to demand explanations. The Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan went as far as warning Israel: “Don’t test our patience.”
So it seems there is nothing new under the sun. We have seen all of this before, sadly. Israel is provoked and provoked and then taken to task for how it responds. Israel did whatever it could to make this event peaceful, the Israeli soldiers were attacked, and, with their lives in danger, that they had to respond the way they did. With this latest wave in the sea of anti-Israel propaganda, it seems we move steadily toward the end days when all the nations will gather against Israel.
I must say that this time around Israelis are very frustrated and angry over the way our enemies keep manipulating the media coverage while Israel gets condemned again in the court of world public opinion. I, too found myself angry at times, but more than anything, I feel great sadness over these things:
1. The Blindness of the nations: the nations are falling into Satan’s trap, and one by one they are gathering against Israel. The great sadness I feel in my heart over these nations is because it is the God of Israel and His Word they are opposing, and they will have to face His ultimate judgment. Please pray that Israel’s enemies will have their eyes opened to see God and repent.
2. The Body of Messiah around the World: more often than not, when Israel is unjustly accused, most of the Body in the West remains silent because “the Israel/Palestinian issue is too politically charged, too contentious.” Watching the news, we see no end to anti-Israel demonstrations, rallies, and marches. Please pray that believers who have the revelation of God’s plan for Israel would stand up for Israel when the world unjustly turns against her.
3. Those who call themselves Followers of the Messiah who don’t see Israel today as the fulfillment of God’s Word: one such man just wrote to me, “Moran, why would I want to come back to Israel when God said He will wipe Israel off the face of the earth because they do not believe Jesus is God. You better hope your name is in the book of life.” Please pray the Lord will open their eyes to see the TRUTH of His Word regarding Israel and fill their hearts with compassion and love for all people, including the Jewish people.
4. The blindness of my people, the Jewish People: with the signs all around us, they continue to look for their earthly king rather than to the Heavenly King. Please pray that God will remove the veil from the eyes of the Children of Israel and that more of us will come to acknowledge Yeshua as our Messiah.
5. The Body of Messiah in Israel: the Body here is still quite divided. Please pray for unity among the Body in Israel so that we can stand in our calling together to bring the Word of the Lord, the Messiah of Israel, to the people of Israel.
May He who makes peace in the Heavens make peace upon us and all of Israel.
Share this Post